good shmeats

one food-loving vegetarian taking New York City's restaurants one plate at a time.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Perfect Bowl


I have a favorite bowl. It's deep, and blue, and solid. I usually grab whatever bowl or plate is closest - sitting at the front of the cupboard or resting at a precarious angle in the drying rack. But this bowl, I feel, deserves better. A random scoop of ice cream eaten while watching TV is simply not good enough for its hefty ceramic curves.

But a few nights ago, I made a meal worthy of my lovely bowl - also solid and crafted with care.

First layer: Winter vegetables rubbed with olive oil, sea salt and thyme and roasted: butternut and delicata squash, parsnips, carrots, beets, and potatoes. (This delightful melange could also be known as leftovers from dinner two nights ago.)

Second layer: A sprightly handful Tokyo Bekana, sauteed until just wilted with soy sauce, minced garlic and olive oil. I added about a quarter cup of crumbled Gimme Lean brand "ground beef" just before the greens were cooked.

The kicker: One egg, fresh from my CSA, fried over-easy until the whites puckered slightly, encasing the deep pumpkin-orange yolk like ravioli.

The winter vegetables provided a sturdy base. The greens and Gimme Lean added both additional substance and flair. The egg (oh the egg!), definitely the star of the show, perched buoyantly on top. I dusted the crest with more sea salt and fresh black pepper.

Just before eating, I speared the pocket of yolk with my fork, allowing the molton treasure to soak into the greens and find its way into the negative spaces between the vegetables.

The yolk mixed with the beets, streaking my beautiful blue bowl with an equally beautiful red memory.

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Anna said...

YUM! can i come eat dinner at your house?

Dory made soft-boiled eggs for breakfast the other day ... 7 minutes, in the shell, then you crack the shell and the white is hard, but you can mash it on toast and the yellow just oozes, perfectly... was divine.

yay for food!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home